When students click on the link for a graded assignment, they will see the assignment you’ve created. They can immediately create or select a VoiceThread to submit for the Create Assignment, record comments on your VoiceThread for the Comment Assignment, or watch the VoiceThread for the Watch Assignment. As soon as they click on the “Submit Assignment” button, you will be able to grade their work.
Adding VoiceThread to your course
VoiceThread is integrated into your Blackboard environment by your administrator, so you can simply follow the steps below to pull it into your course.
- Navigate to the “Content” area for your course.
- Click on the “Tools” menu.
- Select “VoiceThread” from the menu.
- Give the link a title and description if you’d like.
NOTE: The description cannot contain any line breaks or multiple paragraphs.
- If you will be creating a graded assignment, remember to enable grading. This option is called “Enable Evaluation”.
What is VoiceThread?
VoiceThread is a web-based application that enables instructors and students to upload images, video, or documents and then record and add audio, video, or text comments. Comments create a timeline for each frame which becomes an engaging asynchronous conversation.
VoiceThread provides opportunities for learner interaction and collaboration.
Tutorials to Get Started!
- Adding VoiceThread to your Course
- Setting up your VoiceThread link
- Student Assignment Submission
- Grading Students’ Work
Please see the VoiceThread Faculty Information Webinars page for up-to-date information regarding webinars regarding VoiceThread.
Other VoiceThread Resources:
- VoiceThread online workshops
- Basics 1 – Uploading media content, commenting and annotation, and sharing voicethreads
- Basics 2 – Groups and secure sharing of voicethreads
- Basics 3 – Private comments, threaded replies, and copying
- Voicethread and your LMS – how to create and share voicethread assignments, grading, etc…
- Specialized Categories of workshops (some sessions are on-demand along with live sessions):
After you have added VoiceThread to your course, you’ll need to decide what you want students to see when they click on that link. Start by clicking on the link you’ve just created. This will show you the VoiceThread Setup page, where you can select the option that best fits your needs. These options are detailed below.
Note: If you want VoiceThread integrated with your gradebook, you must use the Assignment Builder.
Display the collection of VoiceThreads that have been shared with your course. Anything that has not yet been explicitly shared with your course will not appear here.
This is a good option when you want students to find and comment on each other’s work or if you want to allow students to review all course materials prior to an exam.
Display any VoiceThread that you have created. When students click on the link, they’ll see just this one VoiceThread.
This option is the best way to create a VoiceThread discussion board or lecture. Students will not need to look through a collection of VoiceThreads to find the correct one; they will be taken straight to it.
Display all of a student’s VoiceThread content in a single view. This includes all VoiceThreads and all courses that belong to them.
This option is useful if you want to create a simple portal into VoiceThread without directing students to any specific content.
Create a graded assignment for students to complete. You can require them to create a VoiceThread of their own to submit, to comment on a VoiceThread you’ve created, or simply to watch a VoiceThread start to finish.