Issue 1.4 Moving Assessments, Projects, and Presentations Online

Digital Dialogues Introduction Banner

Moving Assessments, Projects and Presentations Online

As I move my classes online, it makes me think about what the final project or assessment might look like.  An exam could be moved online using tools in Blackboard, but what about presentations, papers, and other projects?  As I work on moving my own assessments online, I try to ask myself some questions:

• What is my goal in having students complete this assignment?
  • Does the format of the assignment meet that goal now that we’ve moved online?
  • Do I need to modify the assignment to meet my goals and student’s needs?

These questions give me a good starting place for making intentional decisions about my assessments and how I ask students to complete them.

Try this!

• Choose tools that support your goals.  For example, you could have students give presentations in FlipGrid or in synchronous Zoom meetings.  Papers can be submitted through Blackboard, and you can have students send you emails with a link to other online projects.
  • Provide clear guidelines up front to help prevent stress and anxiety.  This means providing clear assignment guidelines, rubrics, and instructions on how to use technology well in advance of the due date.
  • Provide alternatives if possible.  Students may have different access to technology, time, and other resources.  You might consider allowing late submissions, while giving extra credit to those who submit on time.  You could also accept an assignment in a different format, or allow multiple types of submissions to maximize flexibility.
  • Allow students to invite friends and family to participate in virtual presentations.  Ask students to invite their friends and family to join a virtual meeting on a final presentation day.  This allows students, particularly graduates, a chance to celebrate their academic progress with friends and family across the country.

Resources

Trauma-Informed Teaching: Kristen Atkinson, Erin Boyce, Perri Corvino, Lori Darnel, and Louise Haimowitz compiled an excellent resource about holding ourselves and our students during this time, and have some great suggestions about grading and assignment among many others.  Thank you for sharing!

Compassionate Grading: This article in the Early Bird last week about compassionate grading provides some great tips on how you can be flexible with students as you move projects and assignments online.

Please stay in touch with us over the next few weeks; we are here to help!
Becky Cottrell: [email protected]
Ann Obermann: [email protected]