Metropolitan State University of Denver BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT ADVISING HANDOUT
last updated April 2022
A dental hygienist is a licensed educated dental health professional licensed to provide direct patient services.
For information on 2 year Associate Degrees in Dental Hygiene, contact Pueblo Community College – 719-549-3286 (http://www.pueblocc.edu/Academics/AreasStudy/HealthProfessions/DentalHygiene/) or Colorado Northwestern Community College – 970-675-3220 (http://www.cncc.edu/pre-dental-hygiene/), or Community College of Denver – 303-365-7771 (https://www.ccd.edu/program/dental-hygiene).
To link to other Dental Hygiene Programs in Colorado, contact the American Dental Hygienists’ Association at http://www.adha.org/
Community College of Denver Dental Hygiene program is one of only three Community College of Colorado programs located in the state offering an Associate of Applied Science degree as well as a Bachelor of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene. For further information, contact the Dental Hygiene Unit Administrator at 303-365-8334 or email to Mary Catherine Dean. Learn how COVID-19 will influence this program at: https://www.ccd.edu/org/covid-19-updates. The MSU Denver prerequisites for CCD’s Dental Hygiene program are as follows:
All science course must be not be over 7 years old upon beginning the program. All general courses are good for a lifetime.
*Human Anatomy and Physiology I has a prerequisite of General Biology I with lab, BIO 1080 and BIO 1090. Human Anatomy and Physiology I must be taken before Human Anatomy and Physiology II.
**Microbiology has a prerequisite of General Biology I with lab, BIO 1080 and BIO 1090, General Biology II with lab, BIO 1081 and BIO 1091, and one semester of chemistry.
***Principles of Chemistry, CHE 1100 has a required corequisite of Principles of Chemistry Laboratory, CHE 1150 and a prerequisite of algebra.
- College level math course is required.
- Complete dental hygiene general education prerequisites with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Complete dental hygiene science education prerequisites with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Courses not completed by the date of application will be averaged in as a “0” into your GPA.
- Courses not completed by the date of application must be completed by the end of fall semester. Proof that the student is enrolled in the course for the fall semester must be sent in along with the application.
- Basic computer skills are necessary, including e-mail, internet, Power Point and word processing.
- Ready access to a computer is mandatory as instructors correspond via email and post notes on D2L.
- Criminal background check, including fingerprints, and a drug screen is required upon admittance to the program.
- Dental Hygiene Admissions Test must be taken and counts as a possible 15% of your overall application score. You may find out more about this aptitude test and sign up for a date at https://www.ada.org/education/testing/exams/admission-test-for-dental-hygiene-atdh
CCD applications are available August 15 and must be submitted and postmarked to the Dental Hygiene Program no later than November 15. About 26 students are accepted each year.