C. EARLY DEVELOPMENT
1. Define gamete.
2. Compare microlecithal, mesolecithal and macrolecithal eggs. What does “lecithal” mean?
3. Compare isolecithal and telolecithal eggs.
4. Define animal and vegetal pole.
5. Describe the various membranes/enclosures around different eggs.
6. Distinguish and give an example of oviparous, viviparous, and ovoviviparous animals.
7. Define zygote.
8. Compare cleavage, blastula formation, and gastrulation in microlecithal, mesolecithal, and macrolecithal eggs.
9. Name the 3 germ layers and list tissues derived from each of the germ layers.
10. Explain the process of neurulation and organogenesis.
11. Define the following terms: involution, epiboly, chordomesoderm, somite, epimere = dorsal mesoderm, mesomere = intermediate mesoderm, hypomere = lateral plate mesoderm, somatic mesoderm, splanchnic mesoderm, somatopleure, splanchnopleure, coelom, primitive streak, mesenchyme, notochord, blastoderm, delamination, archenteron, dermatome, myotome and sclerotome.
12. List the amniote classes.
13. Define body stalk and umbilical cord.
14. Name the main extraembryonic membranes and discuss their functions.