Date _______________________________ (This assignment is due during your very next lab period, Brain.)
- Myosin is also known as the thick myofilament OR thin myofilament. Choose one.
- Which myofilament has a calcium-binding site?
- Define sarcomere.
- What is the role of T tubules in contraction?
- Name the skeletal muscle organelle that stores calcium ions.
- What is the term for the myosin head flexing into a bend, and pulling the actin myofilament along with it?
- A condition in which stimuli occur so rapidly that there are no intervening relaxations between contractions is called .
8. Which of the following would contribute to muscular fatigue in the muscle fiber?
- Depletion of neurotransmitter
- A fragile emotional state of the person
- Depletion of ATP reserves
- Blocked receptors in the sarcolemma
- Aerobic respiration is very efficient because it can yield as many as _________________ ATP molecules per glucose molecule metabolized.
10. Curare blocks acetylcholine receptors at the motor end plate. This would result in:
- Inability of the muscle fiber to respond to nervous stimulation
- Increased muscle stimulation
- Increased acetylcholinesterase production
- Lack of calcium uptake by the muscle fiber
A – ____________
B – ____________
C – ____________
D – ____________
E – ____________
- Name the chemical that crosses the neuromuscular junction leading to skeletal muscle contraction.
- Does the all-or-none response to muscle contraction refer to the entire muscle (e.g. deltoid muscle) OR the individual myofiber (muscle cell). Choose one.
- Draw a single muscle twitch. Label the X and Y axes, and label the Lag=Latent period, the Contraction period, and the Relaxation period.