D. PREGNANCY AND DEVELOPMENT
1. Name the site of human fertilization. Define fertilization.
2. Define capacitation.
3. Define zygote.
4. Contrast dizygotic and monozygotic twins.
5. Describe the events immediately following fertilization.
6. Define cleavage, morula, and blastocyst.
7. Define implantation and where and when it occurs.
8. Describe the events of gastrulation, neurulation, and organogenesis.
9. Describe the 3 germ layers and the organs that arise from each layer.
10. Define embryo and fetus.
11. Describe the function of HCG and where and when it is produced.
12. Describe the functions of the placenta.
13. Name the tissues that comprise the placenta.
14. Describe the decidua basalis, trophoblast cells, chorion, chorionic villi, umbilical artery and vein, umbilicus, amnion and amniotic fluid.
15. What is the average length of human gestation?
16. Define parturition and labor. The “water breaking” refers to what?
17. Describe the positive feedback mechanism for parturition.
18. Describe the effects of relaxin and oxytocin. Where are they produced?
19. Define afterbirth.